4.27.2010

Who, Me? Yep. You.


It's so easy to be affected by what's going on around you. It's really easy to be affected by those whom you've chosen to take your ques from. And it's super easy to fall into negative thought patterns affected by both of these and neither of them actually...care. 

Sucks, huh?
Well... get ready to take full responsibility for what is going on in your life.  

Get ready to be the most powerful person in your life.

It all started a week ago Monday. I emailed my three ladies I needed references from. Of course C answers back:

"[is this the] career that is 'exceedingly, abundantly above all you could think or ask', is NOT at the mercy of any capricious or uncertain external power, but according to the power that works within? So, since your future is entirely within your own control, go get your dream job Ann!"

Um, huh? 

I sat staring at my computer. Her question was looming at me. I simply hung my head in shame. No. Absolutely not. This job was absolutely not the abundantly above and beyond. In fact I haven't even given the above and beyond a second thought. Above and beyond?! I just needed a paycheck! GAH!!

This wasn't me. This isn't who I am. How could I have allowed myself to get to this place? Believing that money, a paycheck, is more important than the very depth and breath of living the life I was created for? Or that money was my ultimate goal, for that matter?

So what if I kept getting feedback "you need more time and experience"?! Then what about having the 'above and beyond while getting more time and experience job' while still pursuing the dream job?

I'd completely lost sight of my potential, my purpose, my power. 
  
How am I getting it back? OK... I won't keep you hanging. I was secretly considering leaving you wondering until tomorrow, but I'm just not that cruel :) 

Said conversation was on Monday and it took through Friday to finally wake up. I had the interview and it was everything I loath {we're not going there}. I got home that afternoon feeling complete despair. Wanting to wallow in self pity and sort of feeling comfortable there. I decided to do one of my favorite things and take a bath... I picked up my O Magazine and commenced reading my most favorite authors. 

The theme? "10 Things" to apply to every aspect of your life you can think of for the the next 10 years of your life to continue your success {or, you know, something like that}

I got out of the tub and I was completely renewed. I felt pumped up. It had reminded me that I was the only one in control of my destiny. I opened my email and C had emailed me "How was the interview?" I hadn't even emailed her because I was so disappointed. This was my response: 

"I just read all my O favorites from this month and I feel so inspired. I've got all kinds of outlandish ideas going through my mind from "interviewing random people in E************ about what they feel their overall life's emotional temperature is and submitting an article to our local newspaper to advertise myself as a therapist" to paying for a front page spot with my picture saying "See this face? She needs a job and wants to work for you!" HA!

Either way, it's getting my emotions to shift from feeling so hopeless to laughing and not taking all this so seriously! I am going to do something different every day this week than I have been. I'm going to get myself up early, exercise, go to our local coffee shop, write, study my lessons, go to the library and read some inspiring stories of people, blog, just not pursue a job whatsoever.

You know what I thought about before I got into the tub tonight? I remember all my friends saying I'd find the man of my dreams when I wasn't looking for it. I feel the same is for a job -- If I surround myself with contentment, joy, peace and all around positivity, it HAS to come to me!!!!!!!!" 

It's the truth. I'll tell you what I've been doing, the challenges I face and how it's been working. There's so much more. I hope you'll join me.

3 comments:

ELP said...

Sounds inspiring :) I can't wait to hear how this works out for you. Maybe it will give some people out there a little hope when they need it most!

LucieP said...

hey lady! I haven't heard from you in a while and I hope you are doing good!! Just thinking about you.

Anonymous said...

just stumbled on your blog and think it's great; I hope you update soon!
Katherine